Monday, July 6, 2009

I need a break from writing

...so I'll just write on here instead! :P

I've spent this wonderful afternoon reading some fantastic blogs on publishing and queries, listening to The Fellowship of the Ring playing in the background, and writing some on what will hopefully be a totally awesome breakout novel for me.

Unfortunately, my head is starting to hurt because I've been staring at a computer screen for about 5 hours now and I'm really just not used to that. =/ So, anyway, I've been working on this manuscript which this morning before I started was sitting on 22,600+ words on 100 pages and has since grown to 24,300+ ad 108 pages. Which brings me to wordcount/number of pages.

If you format your manuscript the way everyone says, then the 250 w/p doesn't really work because every time you start a new chapter, you're losing half a page to blank space. According to the 250 w/p rule, I should be sitting at 27K. That's a little over 2500 words that I don't have, 2500 words that I should have but don't. HMPH.

Why do I care that it's 2500 words off? Because when you query an agent you send in a lovely word count , and while it's just supposed to be a rough idea of how long your manuscript is, 2500 is a lot of words....

Honestly, I don't really know why I'm dedicating an entire blog post to this. I think my head's just a little too full right now to argue this out to a rational conclusion, that and I really needed something else to do and this was at the front of my mind. :)

Any thoughts on word count? Is your 250 words-per-page off a little?

And on an unrelated note, cats or dogs? Are you really a one animal only type of person? O.o

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails