Thursday, July 1, 2010

Review: Stray

Stray by Rachel Vincent

Age Group: Adult
Published: June 1, 2007 by Mira
Format: Mass Market Paperback, 618 pgs
Source: Purchased

Description: 
 
There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them. I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.
Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.
I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.
This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .


My Thoughts:

I'd read the prequel and the first book of Rachel Vincent's young adult Soul Screamers series and thought they were great, so when I found out she originally debuted with an adult book about werecats, I had to have a copy. And it was so good. I actually loved it even more than her YA series.

Faythe is full of what I can only describe as gumption. She's sassy, spunky, and full of personality, and I loved her. All she wants to do is be normal and have her own life. But the world has other plans for her, and Faythe is forced to return home, only to find out it's not nearly as bad as she remembers.

Throw in boy problems; family problems; a few bigger ones too, like being in danger of being kidnapped or worse; and being one of only a few female werecats in the US and you've got a compelling and real story about grad student Faythe Sanders. She's real. She's flawed. And she makes Stray a fantastic debut novel.

Vincent keeps the plot moving constantly; there are no dull moments to speak of, and plenty of unexpected twists. Stray is a real page turner. I read the whole thing in two nights, staying up past my bed time because I never wanted it to end. It was tense and exciting and down right steamy in a few places. Marc's character alone keeps things interesting, what with his inability to let things go, including Faythe.

Stray was a fantastic read, and I'm excited for the rest of the series. If you like action, mystery, and romance, Stray's the book for you. It's a fun, thrilling ride you never want to end filled with great characters making it the perfect beginning for the Shifters series. Rachel Vincent is an amazing story teller, whether you prefer young adult or adult books I highly recommend picking up anything with her name on it.

Visit the author's website.
Buy the book:  Barnes & Noble | Amazon

4 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the review!

Kathryn Rose said...

Despite my slight irritation at the spelling of Faythe's name (why not just "Faith"? Why do some writers have to do that to perfectly beautiful names?), that book sounds awesome! I've never read a werecat book! How sexy is that?? Thanks for the review, Amanda!

Jemi Fraser said...

This sounds like a fun read for my summer holidays - thanks for the tip!

Hannah said...

Sounds like great fun! I think I have it somewhere...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails