Friday, July 2, 2010

A rant about blogs (and contests)

First off, it's Friday!! Woo! And it's the 4th of July weekend, another Woo!! So everyone have a great holiday; Be safe and have lots of fun! (Okay I'm don't with the exclamation points, I think.)

Now then, I like contests, I really do. I've won a few of them now, and I'm even planning on having some myself; but what I can't stand are people who update their blog more for contests than anything else. I am this >  < close to not following someone any more because all they do is tell me about other contests around the blogosphere.


I get that you're trying to rack up points for yourself, but I started following you so that I could see your thoughts on things, follow your writing progress, get to know you. Not watch your efforts to win contests. A lot of us have sidebar content specifically for contests. I have one. It's on the left with my widgets and my review ratings.

I've blogged about cool contests, too, but I still post my own content. I don't let other people's contests take over MY blog, and neither should you. And I really don't like un-following people, but I will if your blog transforms into something that aggravates me every time it shows up in my feed.

Now I'm irritated. I'm off to find a bamboo knitting needle my mom lost, maybe that'll help. Man, I really need to start knitting again...

Alright, Happy Fourth, everyone! :)

11 comments:

ali cross said...

LOL Amanda. I getcha. Good luck chillin'. Remember. Just .... breathe ... ;)

ali cross said...

Oh and BTW, I LOVE your blog. Your "look" is great. Now I'm probably going to have to go obsess about fixing up mine ...

Candyland said...

Ahaha! I totally agree! And I feel the steam filing from your ears!

Kathryn Rose said...

Oooo, that'd be annoying to always see in your blog reader, yeah. Is it a blog contest blog? Because that'd I'd understand (but not necessarily follow). Otherwise, I know what you mean. Let's hear your thoughts, people!

I crochet, by the way, and it's girly and old fashioned and awesome. What do you knit?

Stina said...

Definitely agree with you! At least they should rename their blogs to "Contest Alerts 'R Us" or something along the same lines.

Have a great long weekend!

Hannah said...

so so true.

Damn, now I need to knit. Thanks!

Jade said...

Yeah, and it's worse for me because I can't enter most of the contests but I have to hear about them and it's not fair.

*goes to sulk in the corner*

Jemi Fraser said...

I agree - it can be annoying.

Good luck with finding the needle. I don't knit, but my daughter decided to learn on the weekend. She found a utube video and has a start on a quilt already! :)

Marcia said...

On a related note, I dislike blogs/posts that are merely links to other bloggers' great posts, or YouTube videos. Once in a while, okay, but if all you can do is send us elsewhere, what's your blog for? As for touting contests, I don't mind at all if it's in a sidebar, but I prefer it not to be the post. Seems to me you might as well just tweet it then.

The Readings of a Busy Mom said...

hey i so get what you mean.

i hope you enjoy your weekend...it is a dream of mine to travel to the USA at this time of year so i can participate in this celebration....its never celebrated here:(

The Blog

kah said...

Careful with those needles!

Happy 4th, Amanda! xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails