Sunday, January 3, 2010

Why I write.

Last night, I was spending time with a few friends from high school who are all incredibly smart and going off to big colleges to do extraordinary things, when we got to talking about life. Now this wasn't the usual this-is-what's-happening-with-me thing, no, this was the what-do-you want-to-do-with-your-life talk. As previously stated, I want to work with books.

Now, these friends actually know that I write, and that I want to be published. Naturally, one of them started to ask me about writing, and he had one major question: Do you care more about the language or the plot?

A good question for any writer, I think. The problem was, he didn't want to accept my answer of "both," he believes that one has to be more dominate than the other. He may or may not be right. Honestly it's not something I think about quite like that. He wanted to break things down into the typical Literature/literature way, and frankly that bothers me. I don't want to write something that looks or sounds beautiful or will be studied for symbolism later on in a classroom -though I wouldn't mind any of those- I want to write a book that will suck someone in and keep them reading. I want to write that book that you have a hard time putting down. So, I guess I focus on plot.

But honestly, I want to write a story that people can go back to over and over again and maybe learn something new about themselves or the characters or life. I want to write a story that people care about. I want to write something that will impact at least one person, even if that's just making someone's day better because they read my story.

I don't know if I've answered his question. I don't know if I ever truly will (I told him plot when I was having a hard time articulating myself). But you know what? I know what I want to do as a writer, and I don't know if I'm any good at it, but I sure as hell try.

4 comments:

Jade said...

All we can really do is try and keep on trying. I believe that if you work at it for long enough, you'll get there in the end.

Vann Elliott Jarmon said...

We just write to write. It's our fifth symphony.

Katie said...

Somebody once told me that all the "classics" we read now were the literature (little l) of their time, not Literature (big L). Those writers were doing what was fashionable in their time (or not, depending on who you look at), making comments about their society, and their works reflect that. Ours do the same. Sure, I know I'm not another Dickens. But I'm going to try to be the first Katie-Marie. :)

Unknown said...

Jade, I might quote you. :)

Vann, you're alive! And so true.

KM, Oh the big L little l debate *sigh* I hate it. But that does make me feel better haha. And I'm right there with ya, you think they'll let me leave off the last name and just go by Amanda Cathryn? Lol Amanda Johnson is just so...blah. :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails