Thursday, June 24, 2010

Review: Maximum Ride Book 2

School's Out Forever (Maximum Ride #2) by James Patterson

Age Group: Young Adult
Published: April 1st, 2007 by Little, Brown Young Readers
Format: Paperback, 448 pgs

Description: 


The heart-stopping quest of six winged kids--led by fourteen-year-old Max--to find their parents and investigate the mind-blowing mystery of their ultimate destiny continues when they're taken under the wing of an FBI agent and attempt, for the first time, to live "normal" lives. But going to school and making friends doesn't stop them from being relentlessly hunted by sinister spies, who lead Max to face her most frightening match yet: a new and better version of herself.

My Thoughts:

In the sequel to The Angel Experiment, Max and the other kids are thrown into even more trouble. Only this time there's no place safe to run to; that is, until an FBI agent finds the kids and takes them under her metaphorical wing.

This book really lets you get to know Max, not only because she realizes just how much she loves her flock when they start acting like they have a new mother to look after them. Patterson finally puts you in Max's head, despite the fact that we've already spent a good 400 pages there in the first book of the series. She may be strong, but Max she has a heart, which means she's prone to weakness just like the rest of us.

Because Max became a real person in the book for me, I got into the story a whole lot more. I cared about the things that happened to them. So when the flock is forced to go to a real school, I didn't just roll my eyes and say welcome to the real world. I cringed with them. I laughed when Iggy and Gasman kept getting into trouble. And I felt Max's pain when she caught Fang with another girl.

It's hard to really summarize this book or talk about it without revealing something, because SO MUCH happened in this one, not that the first wasn't jam packed with action, this one's just more interesting.

I think one of the best things about this book, is that you can pick it up without having read the first one and not be completely lost. Since Max is the one telling the story, she gives a small recap of the important bits and then starts up again. I really liked this, because it emphasized the fact that, yes this is part of a series, but it CAN stand alone.

If you tried to read the first one but just couldn't do it. I recommend giving book two a chance, because seriously, I'm still in love with the concept.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails