Tuesday, March 29, 2011

RIP Diana Wynne Jones

I've been trying to find the right words since I heard about it, and I still don't know what to say.

I read The Darklord of Derkholm when I was little, and it stuck with me. I loved it. And years later I discovered the film adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle. Let me tell you, it was the best thing since sliced bread. When I finally read the book, I was blown away. Imagine my reaction when I made the connection that two of my favorite books were written by the same author. (In my defense, I'd forgotten who wrote Darklord and was too lazy to look it up for the longest time, not that that's much of a defense, but still.)

Diana Wynne Jones was one of the most influential and well known fantasy authors in the world, and her death is an incredible loss to us all. She did amazing things for young adult fantasy and was an inspiration to many authors. Her books were an inspiration to me.

If you have no idea who I'm talking about, if you've never read one of her books, please, go out and buy one right now. Experience the wonders of Howl's Moving Castle. See the incredible things she did with world building.

Be inspired. Be a better writer. Be amazing. Because we lost one of the greats, and she left some pretty big shoes behind to fill.

2 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

Haven't read this author, but the film for Howl's Moving Castle was amazing and I can imagine it to be an intricate and creative world within the novel.

Unknown said...

I haven't read anything written by her, but I do love fantasy. I'll have to now. That was a very nice post in her honor.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails