Monday, August 30, 2010

Review: Cinders

Cinders by Michelle Davidson Argyle

Age Group: Adult
Published: June 23, 2010 by CreateSpace
Format: Paperback, 182 pgs (novella)
Source: For Review

Description: 

Cinderella's happily-ever-after isn't turning out the way she expected.

With her fairy godmother imprisoned in the castle and a mysterious stranger haunting her dreams, Cinderella is on her own to discover true love untainted by magic.

My Thoughts:

Cinders is a fantastic continuation of the beloved Cinderella fairy-tale, but if you're looking for cute little talking animals and happily-ever-afters, you're looking in the wrong place. Michelle Davidson Argyle has given us a new look at Cinderella and just what happened after she married her prince. Things aren't all great, and magic could be the problem.

I think the thing I loved most was that there was never a definite answer to Cinderella's problems. She married the Prince and was trying to love him, but she constantly thought of another man and was always wondering if the Prince's love for her would still be there if the magic wasn't there. And in the end nothing gets tied up with a pretty pink bow. It was real and like fairy-tales used to be. Yes, I;m looking at you Disney.

It's heartbreaking and beautifully written and I wouldn't change a word of it. The characters were well developed, and Cinderella definitely grows into herself as the story progresses. The only thing that could have been different would have been the ending, but a happy ending wouldn't have been true to the real fairy-tales and to the story at all.

Cinders is a fantastic read and I highly recommend it.

Visit the author online.
Buy the book online: Amazon

2 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Thank you for this awesome review! I love how many people mention that it has no talking animals. That never even crossed my mind, hah! I did think of putting pumpkins in it, but that quickly faded away. :)

Jaimie Teekell said...

This is very intriguing to me. I love the whole "Would the love be there if the magic wasn't?" idea. Love. I might check this one out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails