Friday, January 9, 2015

New Year, New Plans

It is dawning on me that the older I get the more I like routines, schedules, lists. I try not to plan out my meals for the week but find myself frustrated by a lack of supplies in my pantry. I try not to schedule out my time, then discover there's never enough of it or that I've already wasted the only 45 minutes of free time I had all day. I try and try not to make too many plans or to stick to a schedule, and it's because too frequently such things have backfired on me. With each passing week, however, I long more and more for routine. For a predetermined time in which to do my reading and writing, my grading, my cooking.

So I'm going to try to make a schedule and stick to it. Starting Monday, I'll be at school MWF 8 AM to 2 PM teaching 3 classes and holding office hours, which I will truly use for school related work. As of right now, I have Tuesdays and Thursdays off, but I also work at the local movie theatre, so I'll be determining the best schedule for my week there soon. Ideally, I'll work there on Mondays or Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sunday afternoons, giving me Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays off to work on a business venture, read, write, craft, and recuperate. Tuesdays and Thursday will be my personal work days, meaning crafting for the Etsy shop I'd like to open and business things I'm finding it difficult not to talk about. I would love to read a new book every (or every other) Saturday and spend a good chunk of time on my writing, which I have been ignoring rather horribly lately out of frustration. On Sundays I'd like to get in my major cooking escapades and meal prep for the week, so I don't have to worry about not having time or energy to make dinner on weeknights.

Already this sounds daunting, but I know that in all actuality it's not that bad; I haven't even scheduled out every hour of the day. Still, it's a start.

And in case you missed the memo, I'm primarily posting over on my new page bookish.things.blog where I put all my book related things, including reviews, short stories, and publishing plans, so head over there and follow that feed to stay up to date with me!

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

They say busy people get things done. Giving yourself three days without any day job commitments sounds like a great idea.
I'm a creature of habit and routine, so I can relate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails