Friday, December 24, 2010

Review: Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Age Group: Young Adult
Published: October 19, 2010 by Philomel
Format: ARC 453 pgs.
Source: Contest


Description:

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


My Thoughts: 

First let me just say that this book has been tormenting me since about August, when I won it in one of Andrea Cremer's blog contests. I have been itching to read it, but unfortunately for me it arrived just as I was heading back to school. This book is about 450 pages, and I devoured it in under eight hours. And let me tell you, it's amazing.

Despite her abilities to shift into a snowy wolf, Calla is a normal girl. She goes to school, fights with her family, and is attracted to the hottest guy at school. Lucky for her, she just happens to be betrothed to him, and nobody else can touch her. Until Shay Doran enters the picture and says to hell with all of Calla's rules.
Shay thinks there's something off in Calla's life, and he's determined to set her free. Free from her masters . . . and free from Ren. 

Andrea Cremer has created a beautiful world full of complexities. And do I need to mention the hot boys? Because that's plural, and they are HOT. (Especially Shay. Yum.) I absolutely loved every bit of the lore that Cremer built and the number of creatures she incorporated. The pictures she paints are vivid and suck you deeper into Calla's world. While some things are a bit predictable, Cremer still finds ways to keep you guessing; and the chemistry between Calla and her boys is steamy and electric, which only adds to the tension. 

Nightshade is a fabulous read with lots of twists and turns and all the pretty you can stand to picture. I will definitely be looking out for the sequel and anything else with Cremer's name. I highly recommend this if you've been looking for a new twist on werewolves or are just in the mood for a fantastic YA. Also, have you seen the cover?! 

Visit the author online.
Buy the book: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I won this in a contest, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm glad to keep hearing rave reviews about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails